Sunday, October 24, 2004

Who says College is easier than School?

It can be easier in terms of the amount of brain power needed to get through, but surely not in terms of work. This is supposed to be college, where students are supposed to be free from excessive writing that they had to do school. Not quite. In fact, there's quite a lot of homework, yeah you read that right HOMEWORK they give here. My dad was quite surprised when I told him about this. Apparently, his college, i.e IIT Madras, never had such things.



I think I've mentioned about Engineering Drawing (or Graphics) in one of my earlier posts. It's one of those subjects which are interesting when you don't have to do any work with your hands. It was like that initially, all you had to do was imagine and visualize points and lines and planes in different dimensions, apart from sketching those visuals on a piece of paper. What I didn't know was that you had to draw very, very clearly, and accurately, which takes a long time to do. And I don't like anything which takes a long time to do. I'd rather draw pseudo-anime chicks. Yes. Really.



I also figured out that a large percentage of the boys (no, I'm not a bigot, only the guys are bad) in my class are quite naive when it comes to computers. We have a "Fundamentals in Computing" practical class, where the professors give us a list of operations we have to carry out. There are guys who don't even know what a mouse is. I was looked at in awe when I opened Microsoft Word and did the given work. Computers are not yet ubiquitous, or so it seems...



Eagerly awaiting for news about Mr. Physics? Sorry to disappoint you, but the guy came off clean this week. He does have a weird accent as a matter of fact, he keeps saying "chich on the chich" after he presents a slide-show. We figured out that it meant "Switch on the switch". Maybe the guy has a lisp or something, I don't want to discriminate. As I said earlier, I'm not a bigot.



There is one good thing about the hostel I keep forgetting to mention - Cable TV. Now I can watch all the pay-per-views in peace. Pro- Most hostelites like watching wrestling. Con - They don't want to watch English movies or sitcoms. Most hostelites are from Andhra Pradesh, so they like watching Telugu movies and channels. Damn them. No, I'm not a bigot.



Chemistry - The professor doesn't seem to have any experience with using chalks on the board. Only a sniper could see what he writes. And I sit in the first row.



English - Speech class is just getting better and better. There was a guy who spoke about democracy in India, as compared to other countries. I wasn't listening to most of it until I heard the words "sex" and "rape". This guy has some guts, talking like that in front of a class with a number of women and a senior professor. I guess he has the right to freedom of speech, after all, he was talking about democracy.



SO WHAT IF I'M A BIGOT!!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, I found your blog via BlogExplosion, and I think that you and I have similar views on stuff. I'm an IT Major in college, and I do graphic design and 3D modeling/animation on the side. Check out my blog:

    http://www.collegechixors.com

    Yeah, I know it's a strange domain name, but my friend picked it out for me, lol. Drop by my blog sometime and comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dad is IIT? Major, man! and what's with the kerry adverts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I shouldn't have mentioned that IIT fact...

    I don't know who's the guy/gal who posted that advert... if I do, someone's gonna make their bones.

    ReplyDelete