Sunday, October 17, 2004

Well whaddaya know? It was a fun week!

If being on the run from nagging professors bugging you to get your practical records corrected can be considered as fun. That was pretty much the only problem I had the whole week, besides the bugs in the food. Unfortunately, being a hostel student and not a day scholar, the hostel's mess is the only place I can rely on for food, unless I try fasting. But the food was good again only on Saturday, and the whole place was cleaner than usual. In fact, it was so good that I went for a second helping. It almost made me wonder why I complain to my parents about the food. My theory is that, that's what they (the warden and the guy in charge of the mess) want us to think. That's why they do it on Saturdays, the day when most students go home for the weekend. Shrewd bastards.



The Physics professor strikes again! I don't think he can stop making an ass of himself at least once a week. On Tuesday, midway through his class, guys in the last bench were chatting amongst themselves. After reprimanding them a bit, they guy starts talking about his life history, how he did his Ph.D. in Physics at a time when there were no computers, how he has 20-25 years experience etc. Then he says "Yesterday one boy was trying to teach me a lesson! In my 20 years I have never experienced such a disrespectful fellow. He is trying to tell me that it is possible to measure 31 centimeters using a 30 centimeters ruler! Does he think I'm a fool?!". Probably everyone in my class thought he was one at the end of that speech! I can't believe that this guy actually HAS 20 years of experience in the field of Physics. I'm being merciful enough to not mention his name, though I have to say that these were the words of the Head Of The Department for Applied Physics at my College. Sheesh.



We had a substitute teacher for Maths one day, and it was then that I didn't understand Maths for the first time since I joined the College. The substitute couldn't explain the concepts properly, possibly because she came unprepared.



Coming, to English, my favourite subject in College. We have three professors for the job, all three are extremely good. There's one for speech and letter-writing, one for pronunciation, and on for grammar. The guy who does speech is simply brilliant, probably the most affable professor I've come across. We have a "Speech Class" every week, where 4-5 of us have to speak on any topic of our choice. Public speaking is something I've done only once before. My mother feels that I'm good at written English, so I should be good in speaking it as well. I might be with friends, but facing an audience? While writing I have time to think and choose my words, but while speaking, words come off the top of my head, and I might end up saying something stupid. I wonder what topic I should choose when my turn comes...



Next week I'll be home early. Friday and Saturday are holidays due to a couple of festivals. Only four days of College! Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Y'know, if your professors have weird accents, its even more fun! I had this maths teacher who would add 'a' to all her words. what-a? not doing homework-a? it was a riot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well im amazed at the coincidentality(if that is a word).Read my blog and ull get what im talking about.And No!this is not a publicity stunt.took me a while to figure out if its my campus u're talking bout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, bollocks. There goes the secret identity of my College campus.

    Hold on... I just read and re-read your blog, and I didn't see any "coincidentality" (no, that's not a word, but several people use it nonetheless). Am I missing something here? Or is this just merely the very same publicity stunt you deny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey dude world is very small...isnt it.....very small....

    your blog is brilliant...and reminds me a lot abt venketeshwara......hehehe......its k...dont panic...

    ReplyDelete