Sunday, October 31, 2004

From insects to amphibians… things just get worse.

When was the last time you had to hound a frog all around your room? I’ve been doing so for every day in the past week. It all began on a fine Monday evening, with a cool breeze and light rain – just the sort of weather in which you’d like to snuggle up and take a nap every few hours – but not when you have neighbours like mine at the college hostel. For reasons unknown, my roommate and the chap next door to us started a pillow fight. Nothing wrong in a pillow fight once in a while, perfect to release pent up energy. Unfortunately, things didn’t stop there. One thing let to another, and soon people were jumping in and out of my windows (we live on the ground floor). And then, the grand finale. Water fight! The guys made a whole lot of mess on the floor outside the rooms, splashing everyone in sight with water from the bathroom. Luckily, I was curled up with my P.G Wodehouse (Jeeves Omnibus No. 4 to be precise, consisting of Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit, Jeeves in the Offing, and Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves) inside my room, away from the battle zone. It would have been helpful if Jeeves had been present…



What has this got to with frogs? Well, everyone knows that there are snakes and frogs and other forms of animal life around the hostel grounds. They normally stick to the outside, but I guess the rains must have made the frogs come inside (but don’t frogs thrive in water? They’re amphibians, aren’t they?). My room was the only dry room on the ground floor, and I presume that’s what the frog wanted. It was a tiny frog, nothing to be afraid of, unless you puke the moment you see something slimy leaping from place to place like the Agents in the Matrix Reloaded. It took 5 guys and nearly and hour to get the frog out of the room on the first day. None of us wanted to kill the poor thing, so we were having problems getting it out. Since then, the frog has been visiting us every day, even though we’ve barricaded all windows.



The bugs seem to be getting bigger. I spotted a HUGE black beetle while in the shower. I wish I had taken up biology – I can’t differentiate between the harmless and harmful bugs. Maybe I could take photographs and post them here so that one of you could identify the creatures.



FLASH NEWS – We are going to have our internal assessment exams this week, one of the exams being on a SUNDAY (Blasted buggers), it’s out of the question for me to come home from there to post on the blog (for a detailed explanation as to why this is not possible, read this post.). Good news is that the week after that, I’ll have five days to myself.



Other than P.G Wodehouse, I’ve also been reading Salman Rushdie’s “The Ground Beneath Her Feet”. It’s quite an entertaining novel, throwing rock music in a new light.



Another advantage of being a hosteller is that Mr. Physics professor has a soft spot for us fellows. He doesn’t mind us coming late after lunch since we have to go to all the way to the hostel’s mess to eat.



Engineering drawing – horrid. I stayed awake till 3.00 A.M to complete some work the professor had given us. And breakfast is served only from 7.30 to 8.00 A.M. College begins at 9.00 A.M. Imagine my condition. Just imagine. It’s not that hard, and it won’t take a while either. Fills you with the utmost pity doesn’t it? I thought as much.



Chemistry is something we have to learn by ourselves. The professor’s not too good. Ask him a doubt, he’ll say he would refer and tell you later. Ask him later, and you get a response “You have to cope up with subject yourself by studying! All this is there in your text book”. You look in the text book, and if you still don’t get it, ask someone else. Not our professor.



English class – the one with the guy who teaches grammar – consisted of a heated debate between the professor, my good friend & I and a few others regarding selfishness, whether all acts done by a human are selfish. It absolutely rocked, but he couldn’t complete that days portion thanks to my argument...



I wonder if my room will be infested with frogs on Monday…

No comments:

Post a Comment