Sunday, October 10, 2004

Six days of misery? Not exactly.

Six days of hell would be more like it. Alright! Alright!!! Maybe I'm exaggerating it a bit. After that first day, things in college didn't turn out to be too bad. Mark my words - they didn't turn out to be too bad. They were still bad, of course. I initially thought of posting a day by day recap, but then that would be pain to read, plus time is short. Time is very fucking short. That's an oft repeated line in Stephen King's "The Langoliers", which I picked up from the college library. Right. On to business.



Forget the lack of taste and variety in the food available at the hostel, the least they could have was hygiene. There are bugs all over the place. Someone in Canada found a fried bug in a packet of chips? That's nothing compared to the food I eat. I get fried ants in my chips, boiled ladybugs in my milk, and some unidentifiable flying insects in my soup. No flies. One guy commented -"They say this college food is pure vegetarian but right in front of us they make non-vegetarian food." But the food was actually good on Saturday, and they cleaned up the place after a couple of requests from me. But the bugs don't stop with the mess, they attack the rooms and the bathrooms too. I've encountered more than a 100 bugs in just 6 nights, of some 6-7 different varieties. It's a good thing that my roommate brought his boots. Thank god the spiders stick to the plants outdoors. They're HUGE.



Thursday was a VERY bad day for me. A hostelmate nearly ran off with my wallet. He had come into my room to clear a doubt. Five minutes after he flicks it he comes back to me saying that he took my wallet thinking it was his. My guess is that he couldn't do anything with just a 10 rupee note, so he returned it. Next, another hostelmate breaks my high-tech flashlight in an attempt to see how it works. Then another guy spills his milk over my pants. Horrid day.



I've a new interest in Maths now. It's the easiest subject so far in college. There's also a class called "Fundamentals of Computing" which exactly is what is says. It's probably the most boring class since I already know everything there is to know about computer fundamentals. And the teacher hates people who know it all. I guess that's the end of me. Another new class is "Engineering Drawing" or "Engineering Graphics". It's really good, a very specific language for engineers. All the blueprints of buildings are engineering drawings.



It so happens to be that the Physics professor's not such a bigshot after all. He's the kind of guy who makes empty threats, and then returns to his normal self. By normal, I mean abnormal, 'cause this guy ain't normal at all, by human standards. One day, his class was right after recess. One of the girls of our class got stuck in the ladies room... and guess what happened next. Mr. Physics tries to save the day. Considering the fact that this guy is big, I mean really big, one would expect him to easily open the door from the outside. NOT. He huffed and he puffed but he couldn't blow the door down. Then this puny little girl comes along and she does something with the door, and voila, it opened. So much for being big. I also got word from the senior students of the college that the guy only acts like he's big, but he's just a bug.



I also want to post more about English classes, but maybe later. Time is very fucking short.



3 comments:

  1. "The Langoliers"

    You should try to get to watch the mopvie, it's a bit more interesting. :)

    College seems to be a very eventful journey for you, although not a great one at that. Keep up at it!

    Shame on the hotel guy for taking your wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! I didn't know you guys have ladybugs too! Are they the orange ones with black spots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though not so cool in boiled milk.

    BTW, did you notice the ads google found for this post...? Chocolate covered bugs... hmmm

    ReplyDelete